This report is also available as an Acrobat file.
Evaluation of the Suitability of
Distributed Interactive Videoconferencing for use in Higher Education
2 Method for evaluation
2.2 Sessions targeted for evaluation
Prior to ABC '96 eight sessions were selected, intended to represent the range of interaction styles across all sessions (refer to Appendix 2 for ABC '96 Programme). The different sessions were selected for potential analysis on the basis of the following criteria:
The sessions selected for analysis were:
- Presentation type (the following types of session were planned for ABC '96: lecture, demo, video/talk, informal chat, debate, panel discussion).
- Estimated level of interactivity (depending on number of sites directly involved in the session, site of speaker, site of presenter, number of speakers involved)
- Individual presentations, speakers at Aveiro and Brussels, presenter at Aveiro
- Individual linked presentations, 2 speakers at Madrid, 1 speaker at Naples, presenter at Naples
- Lectures, 1 speaker at Madrid, 1 speaker at Aveiro, presenter at Aveiro
- Debate, 3 speakers at Brussels, Madrid and Naples, presenter at Berlin
- Linked lectures, 2 speakers at Brussels, presenter at Naples
- Lecture, 1 speaker at Brussels, presenter at Brussels
- Lecture, 1 speaker at Madrid, presenter at Aveiro
- Lecture, 1 speaker at Naples, presenter at Naples
In the following report 'speaker' is defined as a person giving a presentation at the Summer School, 'presenter' is the co-ordination person based at each main site responsible for introducing the speakers, managing questions at their site, and certain chairing-type activities e.g. during discussion sessions. An additional responsibility on presenters was their role in the overall control structure. This aspect was supported from the main control site (Madrid) by a continuity presenter assisted by a content evaluator and commentator. In addition there was also a co-ordinator based at each site responsible for technical co-ordination of their site with the overall Summer School. 'Participants' are attendees to the Summer School.
Virtual Environments Visualisation